So a new year is upon us and with that comes resolutions and promises to yourself, half of which end up never getting accomplished or end up as a half-finished project being moved from apartment to apartment (t-shirt quilt anyone?). Two years ago I came up with two pages of goals I wanted to accomplish in 2012 that fell into 4 different categories: Fitness, Life, Financial and Fun. See below for my old list of goals:
- Workout at least 6 days a week
- Win the Fitness Competition!
- Get below 200lbs by April 1st
- Win the Fitness Competition!
- Start running again on Wednesday the 4th
- Use the RunStart plan
- Complete RunStart plan
- Compete in Shoreline Road Race Series?
- Run the Branford Road Race again
- Complete a half marathon?
- Train for a triathlon
- Complete a sprint triathlon
- Get to 180lbs by my 26th birthday
Find a full-time job than pays enough with benefits Move in with Kevin
- Find something to volunteer for
Financial: Pay off my undergraduate student loan Pay more than my minimum payment on my graduate loan Try and save $100 a month for my “Apartment” fund Start up a “Vacation” fund and add money when I can
- Learn to use my sewing machine
- Complete track quilt
Take more pictures! (Especially with Kevin) Have more fun Read a new book every month
- Learn knitting/crocheting?
As you can see I killed it in the Financial section and did pretty well in the Life and Fun sections. I didn’t do so well in the Fitness section but hey 3 out of 4 isn’t so bad right? In 2013 I didn’t set any formal goals but I still managed to have a pretty great year.
But I’m thinking for 2014 I have a few things I want to accomplish and to help me stay accountable I figured I’d break out a goal list.
Fitness and Health:
- Get down to 200lbs by June 1st. (Preferably sooner.)
- Get stronger, faster and calmer
- Get back under a barbell. I miss moving weight so it is time to get back to it.
- Complete my first half marathon (April 13th, probably with walk and run intervals)
- Restart practicing yoga and work on my headstand, maybe move into handstands? (I haven’t taken anytime for yoga since moving to Piermont)
- Eat better and remember how much energy I have and how great I feel when I do.
- Continue to learn as much as I can at my job
- Quit wasting so much time on my computer on the Internet
- Turn off all electronics by 10pm at the latest (maybe 9:30)
- Be in bed by 10pm and asleep by 10:30 on the weekdays
- Pay off my credit card
- Once my credit card is paid off, put 10% of each pay check into a savings account that I will not touch.
- Continue to pay more than the minimum payment on my graduate loan.
- Finally learn how to use my sewing machine
- Finish T-shirt quilt (finally!)
- Read at least 1 book a month, maybe 2?
- Explore more places – Get to know Piermont and the surrounding NY area
- Try harder to get together with friends more often
The Fitness and Health and the Financial categories require a bit of planning and multiple steps to get to where I want to be, but I’m working on it. Tomorrow I start a round of Whole30 and will finally walk the 50 feet across the courtyard of my apartment complex to join the small, overpriced gym. And luckily a recent raise at work will give me some extra income to hopefully pay down my credit card a bit faster. So hopefully I’m well on my way to accomplishing a bunch of these goals. Bring it on 2014!!!
What are your “resolutions” or goals for the new year?